Chairwoman – Dr. Cristina Garmendia Mendizábal
Dr. Garmendia served as Minister for Science and Innovation of Spain from April 2008 to December 2011, leading some of the most groundbreaking reforms ever made in this area, including the Spanish Innovation Strategy and the Law for Science, Technology and Innovation. In 2001, she founded and developed the biotechnology holding Genetrix, with successful private fundraising of €90 million. In 2008 she founded Ysios Capital, the largest Spanish Biotech capital fund.
She also served as President of the Spanish Bioindustry Association (ASEBIO), as Member of the board at the Spanish Confederation of Employers’ Organizations (CEOE), and as member of various scientific or advisory boards. She is currently a member of the Advisory Board at the Productive Transformation Program, led by the government of Colombia and chaired by Colombian president Juan Manuel Santos.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Ysios Capital Partner, SGECR S.A., Barcelona, Spain
- Member of the Board of Directors of Pelayo Mutua de Seguros, Madrid, Spain
- Member of the Board of Directors of Everis Spain, S.L., Madrid, Spain
- Member of the Board of Directors of Gas Natural SDG, S.A., Madrid, Spain
- Chairwoman of the Board of Directors of Genetrix, S.L., Madrid, Spain
- Member of the Board of Directors of Corporación Financiera ALBA, Madrid, Spain
- Sole Administrator of Jaizkibel, S.L., Madrid, Spain
- Member of the Board of Directors of Science & Innovation Link Office, S.L., Madrid, Spain
- Member of the Board of Directors of Compañía De Distribución Integral Logista Holdings, S.A., Madrid, Spain
- Member of the Board of Directors of Satlantis Microsats, S.L., Madrid, Spain
Deputy Chairman – Mr. Joseph M. Fernández
Co-founder of Invitrogen, Inc., (Currently Life Technologies); founder and CEO/Chairman of Active Motif Inc., which specializes in novel tools and platform technologies for genomics-driven cell biology and epigenetic pathway elucidation.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of Active Motif Chromeon GmbH, Tegernheim, Germany
- Member of the Board of Directors of Expedeon Corporation, Cambridge, UK
- Member of the Board of Directors of Hiram College, Hiram, Ohio, USA
Member of the Supervisory Board – Pilar de la Huerta
Pilar de la Huerta has accumulated an extensive experience in the pharma and biotech sector over the last 20 years. She joined Genetrix group as a CEO in 2010, moving to SYGNIS after the merger done between Xpol, Genetrix subsidiary, and SYGNIS AG in october 2012. From 2006 to 2010, she was a strategic consultant within several companies, such as Viamed Salud Group, where she was responsible for R&D and New Business and was appointed CEO of the two most innovative companies within the Group: Araclon Biotech, SL. and Viamed Technology Investments. Before that, she was CEO at Neuropharma (Noscira, Zeltia Group) and assumed various responsibilities within the Zeltia Group, (the biggest quoted biotech holding in Spain).
Pilar holds a Master Degree in Business and Administration by the UCM and has completed the IESE’s Advanced Management Program (AMP) and Program for Management Development (PMD) courses in the Navarra University.
She has been appointed as board member of several Spanish companies during the last 10 years, but have left most of them to dedicate her time 100% to the new SYGNIS. Currently, she is part of the management board of SYGNIS.
CEO and Board Member of Antibióticos de Leon (ADL, S.A.)
Member of the Supervisory Board – Peter Llewellyn-Davies
Peter Llewellyn-Davies is a strategic CFO/CBO with an over 25 year track record in financing activities, international M&A deals, company turnarounds, licensing transactions and with particular experience in chemical and healthcare industries. Currently Peter supports small and medium sized companies with his consulting company Accellerate Partners, targeting in particular enterprises who require the support of a strategically orientated CFO but do not need a full time executive to cover this role. Peter is a non-executive Director and chair of the Audit Committee of Shield Therapeutics plc, who in 2016 completed an AIM listing in London.
Peter was CFO/CBO of Medigene AG between 2012 and 2016 and supported the turnaround process by creating an equity story, outlicensing marketed and legacy products and enhancing shareholder value with a new large international investor base.
Prior to that he was CFO of Wilex AG, having orchestrated their IPO in 2006 to fund a later stage pipeline, setting up investor and public relations and concluding subsequent partnering deals and acquisitions. Prior to this, he was Executive Director of Müller Dairy (UK) Ltd and Executive Director Finance at Süd-Chemie AG. Peter read business management, banking, marketing and controlling in London, St. Gallen and Munich, and has a certiﬁcate in business studies from the University of London.
Member of the Supervisory Board – Mr. Tim McCarthy
Tim has a 35 year international business career in high growth Healthcare, Biotech and Technology companies and is currently Chairman and Non Executive Director for a number of companies, including Immupharma Plc, Incanthera, Expedeon Holdings and Harvard Healthcare. He is a former CEO and Finance Director of public and private companies, including Alizyme plc, Peptide Therapeutics Group plc. He has co-founded a number of healthcare and biotechnology companies, raising substantial amounts of equity capital and also advised and/or worked at Board level, for a diverse range of companies internationally, in areas such as business strategy, fund raising, mergers & acquisitions, due diligence and licensing. A Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, he also has an MBA from Cranfield School of Management.
Executive Director of Unnnamed Ltd., Cambridge, U.K.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of ImmuPharma PLC, London, U.K.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of ARK Analytics Solutions Ltd., Cambridge, U.K.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Spear Therapeutics Ltd., Manchester, U.K.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of Dropped Ltd., Cambridge, U.K.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of Incanthera Ltd., Manchester, U.K.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of Harvard Healthcare Ltd., Liverpool, U.K.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Wise old owl Ltd., Cambridge, U.K.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Frangipani Dreams Ltd., Cambridge, U.K.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Expedeon Holdings Limited, Cambridge, U.K.
Member of the Supervisory Board – Dr. Trevor Jarman
Dr. Trevor Jarman is an innovative biochemist who has been involved in founding and developing several companies in the life sciences and healthcare arena. He was co-founder and Business Development Director of the drug development company Alizyme PLC. He has been Chairman of the Board of Directors of Expedeon Holdings Ltd since its initial founding in 2003. He obtained a BSc and PhD in biochemistry from University of Hull and was a postdoctoral researcher in the Chemistry Department, Imperial College, London.
Chief Executive Director of Natures Remedies Ltd., Cambridge, U.K.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of Expedeon Holdings Limited, Cambridge, U.K.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Expedeon Ltd., Cambridge, U.K.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Cambridge Cell Networks Ltd., Cambridge, U.K.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of Persavita Ltd., Cambridge, U.K.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Swangap Flat Management Ltd., Cambridge, U.K.